Bambu is teaming up with Gritty Gourmet to bring you easy, healthy camping recipes, tried and true tips for time outdoors, and eco-friendly camp cookware suggestions. This month, we’re gearing up for a full season of outdoor adventures with summer camping recipes that are bursting with flavor. Nothing says summer like some juicy lime and colorful vegetables, so a vegetarian burrito bowl is first on the list.
Here’s why we’re loving this easy burrito bowl recipe:
- Bursting with summer flavor
- Easily packable for lunch on the trail
- Poblano peppers offer a subtle spice
- Great as a vegetarian main course or a healthy side for group meals
- Flexible ingredient list to use the vegetables you have on hand
Our go-to summer camping recipe
The long days of the warmer months mean lots of time to spend outside! We love that this summer camping recipe is flexible enough to use as an easily packable camping recipe for lunch or a gourmet camping meal at the end of the day. Flexibility is important when you’re camp cooking, and burrito bowls are the perfect fit for an easy camping meal!
We use poblano peppers to add a little spice to this summer camping recipe, but don’t be afraid. Poblano peppers offer a medium spiciness that is a hit for most taste buds. Mixed with the flavors of a mild and creamy sauce and cooling cilantro and lime, this mixture offers just the right spice for a summer camping recipe.
However, if you do have a crew that prefers a more mild taste, swap out poblano peppers for bell peppers. The great thing about this healthy summer camping recipe is that you can adjust the ingredients to match your preferences and available ingredients without missing out on flavor.
Choosing to use instant rice makes cooking this tasty vegetarian burrito bowl a quick and easy choice for summer camping recipes. If you want to cut down on cooking time even more, pre-chop the vegetables and store them in the same container you’ll use for lunch the next day. This is especially easy if you’re planning to make this camping recipe for lunch and want to make morning burrito bowl meal prep as hassle-free as possible.
The ideal camping recipe for lunch
Planning for a long day outside this summer? Another reason that this burrito bowl recipe is a favorite is its packability. In the heat of summer, lunch recipes that use greens or uncooked vegetables tend to wilt in the heat. Instead, use a double-tiered storage container to keep this great summer recipe fresh while you’re on the trail. Then, easily combine ingredients for a tasty and healthy summer camping recipe on the go.
Vegetarian Burrito Bowl with Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 cup instant rice
- 1 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes
- ½ small red onion
- 1 poblano pepper
- 2 crimini mushrooms
- 1 ear corn
- ½ cup black beans, cooked
- 1 avocado
- 1 Tbls coconut oil
- Salt + pepper to taste
For the Creamy Paprika Sauce
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ tsp paprika
- Dash salt and pepper
- Dash of chili powder (optional)
- 2 EcoLunch Box Stainless Three-in-One’s
- Small pot with well-fitting lid
- Medium sized pan
- Bambu Cutting Board
- Sharp knife
- Bambu Utensil Set or Bamboo Spork Set (for eating on the trail)
- Bambu Spoontula
- Dice red onion and poblano pepper and place in a pan with coconut oil. Heat over a medium flame and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Chop mushrooms and cut fresh corn off of its stalk. Add mushrooms and onion into the onion and pepper mixture and stir to combine. Bring heat to medium-high and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until peppers are cooked through and onions are slightly browned. Once fully cooked, add in cooked and drained black beans and stir to combine. Lower heat to a simmer and heat black beans through.
- While the vegetable mixture is cooking, bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Then, add in rice and stir to mix. Reduce heat to low and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Let sit for 1-2 minutes, checking after 1 minute to avoid rice sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Once the rice is soft and all water is absorbed, remove the rice from heat and let cool slightly for 1-2 minutes. While the rice is cooling, dice cilantro and cut both limes in half.
- Mix fresh cilantro into slightly cooled rice and squeeze the juice of both limes into the pot. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Remove cooked vegetable mixture from heat and adjust seasoning as desired.
- To make the creamy paprika sauce, mix in ½ tsp of paprika to the sour cream. If additional spice is desired, add in a dash of chili powder. Adjust taste with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Place cilantro lime rice in the lower tier of your metal container. Place vegetable mixture in the upper tier, leaving room for the small sauce container on one side if packing for later. If you’re eating right away, pour the paprika sour cream over the vegetable mixture and garnish with avocado, lime, and cilantro. If you’re packing this camping recipe for lunch on the trail, pour the sauce in the small container and close the lid securely. Wait to cut avocado until you’re ready to eat. Enjoy your burrito bowl in the fresh air.
Serves 2 hungry people
Why use Bambu camp cookware for your summer camping recipes?
Bamboo camp cookware has several benefits. Camp cookware made from bamboo won’t harm, stick to, or scratch your dishes. Non-stick bamboo camp cookware is especially important in the outdoors where cleaning is more difficult. Searching for the best camping cookware for the family? Bamboo cookware is naturally non-toxic, and you can be sure that any camp cookware made by Bambu is certified and sustainably sourced. As outdoor enthusiasts ourselves, we pride ourselves in making simple bamboo camp cookware that’s durable, lightweight, and as eco-friendly as it is user-friendly.
Did you enjoy this tasty vegetarian camping recipe? We’ll be sharing more tips, tricks, and summer camping recipes throughout the warmer months. And, we’re partnering with Pitch USA to make camping more accessible to new adventurers. Learn about Pitch USA here.
Shop certified bamboo camp cookware.