Bambu is teaming up with Gritty Gourmet to bring you easy recipes for kids that you can make on your next camping trip (or in your kitchen). Plus, we’re sharing our favorite outdoor cooking tips for cooking with kids! This month, we’re celebrating those sweet summer mornings with a recipe for cottage cheese pancakes that’s fluffy, creamy, and always a hit.
Here’s why we’re loving this kid-friendly cottage cheese pancakes recipe:
- 6 ingredients makes this easy to pack, and easier to make
- Dress them up, or keep it simple. These pancakes can be gourmet or quick and easy
- Kids will love the creamy texture of this unique recipe
- And you’ll love the extra boost of protein!
There are few things as satisfying as a big stack of puffy, perfectly golden pancakes. Kids and adults alike can’t seem to get enough of this all-star breakfast. Which makes it the perfect recipe to get the younger members of your group involved with. This recipe ups the nutritional value of traditional pancakes thanks to the addition of cottage cheese. A stack of four pancakes holds a whopping 10 grams of protein. Not bad for something that tastes like dessert!
Wondering if your kids will go for this upgraded ingredient list? We can promise you that they will. The end result is a fluffy yet still crispy pancake with pockets of creamy goodness. Top it with seasonal fruit, cinnamon sugar, or other favorites for a truly stellar breakfast.
We’ve designed this recipe to be easily packable for a camping weekend, and to taste just as good during an at-home brunch. Wherever you enjoy it, use these quick tips for kid-focused fun when you’re cooking.
Tips for making kid-friendly recipes
Ready to get the younger crowd involved in the kitchen? When it comes to tasty, kid-friendly recipes like these, children are typically excited to take part in the process. For older children, consider letting them take the reigns completely (with a little supervision). Guiding them through the process of planning and shopping for ingredients can be just as fun as the cooking itself. And this is a great time to get kids thinking about where food comes from (and how to choose environmentally friendly options).
If you live in a place with acess to a local farm stand or farmers market, consider bringing the kids along. They’ll enjoy picking out farm fresh pancake toppings like berries and stone fruits, which will make the meal even more special.
Cooking with groups of children
There’s a reason for the saying “too many cooks in the kitchen.” Sometimes, too many little helpers can be a lot to handle! If you’re making this recipe with several children, try delegating tasks to each child. An older child might be tasked with measuring ingredients, while a little kid might enjoy mixing. And of course, no one will want to miss the fun of flipping pancakes. Try alternating pouring and flipping so everyone has a chance to experience the fun. Using kids sized cooking utensils will make the kids cooking crew feel even more comfortable in the kitchen.
Recipes for Kids: Cottage Cheese Pancakes
The kids will love pitching in to make this fully breakfast treat. With a kid-friendly recipe this simple, even the littlest helpers can get their hands in the mixing bowl!
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup small-curd cottage cheese
- 4 eggs or egg substitute
- ⅓ cup milk of choice
- ¼ tsp of cinnamon
- Dash of sea salt
- Cinnamon sugar (make your own with 1 part cinnamon, 2 parts sugar)
- Fresh, local fruits like raspberries, blueberries, peaches, and apricots
- Hazelnut or almond butter
- Agave nectar
Eco-friendly camp cookware + tools
- Bambu Kids In the Kitchen Utensil Set
- Large mixing bowl (we like this one)
- Medium-sized frying pan (carbon steel is a great option for non-toxic camp cookware)
- Bambu fork
- Veneerware plates (optional, great for quick cleanup)
- Veneerware sporks (optional, great for quick cleanup)
- Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and use a bamboo fork to mix thoroughly for 1-2 minutes, or until well combined.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat until surface is hot (you can test this by pouring a drop of batter on the frying pan. If it sizzles when it hits the surface, your pan is at the perfect temperature).
- Melt a dollop of ghee or butter, or pour a teaspoon of your oil of choice into the pan.
- Pour pancake batter onto the pan to create pancakes about 3” in diameter.
- Cook each side until it is lightly browned, then use the Kids in the Kitchen Spatula to flip each pancake.
- Remove cooked pancakes from the pan, top with any desired ingredients, and enjoy while hot!
Makes about 25 pancakes
Skip the cleanup with compostable plates
Don’t let the fun fade once this kid-friendly breakfast is over. If you want to skip the dishes and head right into your next adventure, pack a set of compostable plates and cutlery. These heavy-duty plates will easily handle a hearty stack of pancakes. You can gently rinse them off for a weekend of use, or toss them right into the compost once breakfast is finished.
Why use Bambu cookware for outdoor cooking?
When you’re enjoying time outdoors, especially with kids, having tools that are easy to use and clean is essential. Bamboo cookware is ideal for outdoor cooking because it’s safe for use on any surface, and it won’t heat up like plastic or metal cookware. This is important when you’re cooking over more variable temperatures (such as a campfire or camp stove). Once your meal is done, bamboo cookware is easily washed with a little soapy water. Plus, it’s naturally antimicrobial, so you can feel good about using it for all your meals.
Bamboo cookware is naturally non-toxic, and you can be sure that any camp cookware made by Bambu is certified and sustainably sourced. As outdoor enthusiasts ourselves, we pride ourselves in making simple bamboo camp cookware that’s durable, lightweight, and as eco-friendly as it is user-friendly.
Did you enjoy this kid-friendly cottage cheese pancakes recipe? Sign up for emails to be the first to know when new recipes come out!
Shop certified organic, eco-friendly camping dinnerware.