Keep your bamboo cutting board looking beautiful for years to come with these simple steps. Our bambu® cutting boards are durable and designed to stay on your counter for the long-term, and here’s how.
Bamboo Cutting Board Care:
- To start, hand wash your board with warm water and soap. We like to use Dr. Bronner’s Organic Soap or Meliora Dish Bar Soap. We also prefer to use a natural bristle brush to scrub the board clean. Our own bamboo/natural bristle brush is the perfect clean up companion.
2. You can air dry or towel dry. Make sure the board is completely dry before storing away.
3. It’s not mandatory, but if you want to get your boards back to that “looking new” appearance, then use bambu Finishing Oil. Shake the oil before use. Pour a capful or two onto a cloth and rub into the board. A little goes a long way. Let dry completely (we prefer propped up so it dries evenly).
If your cutting board starts looking dry, these steps will liven it up. And if you'd like to avoid drying out your board, you can apply finishing oil on a monthly basis for your daily chopping board. For smaller prep boards or bar cutting boards you’ll want to follow this process after a big party or event to keep your board in good shape.
For best care of your bamboo cutting board, avoid:
- Putting your board in the dishwasher.
- Using hard chemicals, like bleach.
- Soaking in water.
- Using natural cooking oils, like olive oil or walnut oil.
The actions above would encourage the board to splinter, warp or smell bad.
If your bamboo cutting board is badly stained, follow these steps as soon as possible to remove tough stains. Beet juice, anyone?
- Cut a lemon in half.
- Squeeze half a lemon on the stain and rub in using the lemon half like a sponge.
- Rinse. Repeat with the other half if necessary.
- Apply finishing oil as outlined above after the stain is removed.
Caring for bamboo cutting boards is extra easy because bamboo naturally is mycobacterial and less porous than other materials. With our sleek, modern design, your cutting board will stay beautiful for the long-term.
About bambu® Finishing Oil
bambu® finishing oil is handcrafted in small batches with high-quality, all-natural ingredients from sustainable resources. Our cutting board oil is made from a blend of linseed oil, pure tung oil, and pure beeswax. And packaged in a glass bottle--not plastic!
Beeswax is a key ingredient in our cutting board oil because of its all-natural waterproofing, hydrating and shine properties. Our blend does not contain mineral oil which is a petroleum byproduct.
Interested in breathing new life into your bamboo cutting board or looking for a new board? Explore bambu® cutting boards and finishing oil. Our 15-inch classic cutting board was used in the photos above. It has been among our most popular cutting boards since we first introduced it in 2004. You would apply the same simple cleaning insturctions on our bamboo serving trays.
Is your kitchen stocked with bamboo utensils too? Read our guide to bamboo utensil care.